"Accidents Happen"

That was the reported response by Harry Whittington today when questioned over the VP shooting him last weekend in Texas.

On another note, I was listening to Rush Limbaugh (whom I have lovingly referred to as a "Modern age Joseph Goebbels" for about as long as he's been on the air) defending Cheney against the conspiracy theorists that are calling the show and spinning their theories concerning the accident yesterday. He kept referring to them as 'idiots'.

Sorry there Joey, but from where I'm sitting there is plenty of idiocy to go around. Granted it was an accident, but only an idiot fires blind in the direction that your hunting partners are in. Only an idiot pulls the trigger when there is a guy wearing safety orange visible in your sight.

The local authorities have been using this incident, and the airtime concerning guns, to lament on the number of people who go hunting and don't take gun safety courses. Maybe Mr. Cheney should look into them. Of course, I took the class; although the curriculum was a little different when I took it. It's called dad smacking me on the head when I did something stupid while carrying a loaded weapon. I don't think I'd volunteer to instruct the VP though. He's liable to mistake me for a bird as well...

Jon Stewart: "Yes, as you've just heard, a near-tragedy over the weekend in south Texas. Vice President Dick Cheney accidentally shot a man during a quail hunt at a political supporter's ranch. Making 78-year-old Harry Whittington the first person shot by a sitting VP since Alexander Hamilton.
"Hamilton, of course, shot in a duel with Aaron Burr over issues of honor, integrity and political maneuvering. Whittington? Mistaken for a bird.

1 comment:

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.