Lincoln's birthday? Not for me.

Since the day that our son was born, the daughter (also known as the teenager) has been jealous of the attention that his birthday gets. Costumes and free candy on your birthday, how do you beat that?

15 years ago today, I became a parent, and started marking that official anno parenti time. Truthfully, I've been raising children since I was a child myself. They weren't my kids, but sometimes you get handed a job that you didn't ask for. As the eldest in a single parent household, you spend a lot of time herding the younger ones. You can always look forward to mom getting home at some point later in the day, and then you can quit pretending you know what you are doing and get back to being a child yourself.

Once you are mom (or dad) things get a little more complex. The early experience helped, though. I knew how to change diapers. How to feed a baby, hold a baby, a thousand different things. But at 2 in the morning, when it's your turn to rock the baby, you find that you miss the days when mom would come home and take over. Well, not really. But just for a minute there...

...And they grow so fast, too. 15 years? It couldn't have been that long. But then, she's a good bit taller than she was when I first saw her. Then, I could hold her in the crook of one arm, a little over 6 pounds, light as a feather. I'm still taller than her now, but I don't think that will last much longer. I can remember taking her to the Montessori School for the first time. Her learning to read, and then talking me into reading books that she liked (I'm hooked on Harry Potter and it's her fault) getting me hooked on anime (especially Hayao Miyazaki) Discovering she has quite a talent for art in her own right. Trying to encourage her to explore her talent, without pressuring her to 'do something' with it. Dropping her off at the High School for the first time; wondering out loud if I "should walk her in..." The disgusted "DAD!" that I got in return was the first clue that she was growing up much faster than I was really ready for.

I think they'll have to sedate me for the next birthday. I don't think I'll be ready for 16, dating, driving.

After the boy was born, we took to telling her that "well, your birthday is Lincoln's birthday too..." That didn't work. She could go here and see a full list of the famous people who were also born on this date. I doubt that would be good enough either. Maybe, if she's half the artist I think she can be, she'll end up on that list as well.

She's already on an exclusive list of one in my book. That's a good enough reason to celebrate the day all by itself, without needing costumes and candy. Wouldn't you agree?

Happy Birthday, dearest one.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.