Standard American Mutt

Every time I take a survey, I get pissed off. Why? Because in every survey, the bean counters in charge of it want to nail down exactly what group I'm a part of, so that they can massage their numbers to get the answers they want. Amongst the male or female, married or single, how much money do I make type questions, they inevitably ask "what is your race?"

Hell if I know, I've never done a genealogy on my family history. The subject is about as interesting as watching paint dry. My skin's white, sure enough. But that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Ancestry determines what type of blood runs in your veins; and only working with the surnames of my grandparents, I can claim German, French and English blood. Who knows what else has been thrown in there over the last couple of hundred years? In my estimation that makes me a Standard American Mutt.

'Race' is an illusion anyway. The behavior attributed to 'race' is nothing more than ethnic culture; the absorbed societal norms which influence the thinking of an individual, and culture changes from generation to generation (and the people who wish to preserve their ethnicity are fighting an losing battle on a constantly shifting slope) The genetic differences between the 'races' are no greater than the genetic differences between individuals of the same race. So what does it mean to claim membership in a particular race? Bragging rights?

Beats me. I'm proud to proclaim myself a 'mutt'. Now if I can just get the people printing forms and writing surveys to include Standard American Mutt as one of the choices...

1 comment:

  1. I like being a mutt. You get hybrid vigor, and are less likely to be a genetically flawed product of incest.

    ReplyDelete

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.