The Da Vinci Code

Saw the film at the Alamo Drafthouse South yesterday evening. Ron Howard pulled off another excellent film with this one. Personally, I thought it was every bit as good as Apollo 13.

Also hearkening back to Apollo 13, Tom Hanks appeared to be channeling his characterization of Jim Lovell in that film, and to great effect. Although I had my doubts, I really did buy him as Robert Langdon. There was some great chemistry between Hanks' Langdon and Sir Ian Mckellen's Leigh Teabing. I'm going to have to pay to see it again just to get the grail arguments between the two of them down in memory. Ian McKellen, Gandalf and Magneto. I love that guy. Two films coming out this month. (saw the 7 min. teaser for X3 last week. Magneto's speech to the mutants was great. Can't wait to see that film) I would love to be getting his paychecks.

The rest of the cast delivered solid performances as well. I've not seen Audrey Tautou (who played Sauniere's grandaughter Sophie Neveu) before, but I look forward to seeing her in other films. Good to see Jean Reno (Captain Fache) again. I think the wife has drug me to every film that he's been in (released in America, that is) He has a very good comic wit in most films, although they didn't have any use for it here. Fache has very little to find humorous during the course of the story.

Paul Bettany who played Silas was also a great cast. I had no doubts about his casting in the role, having seen him in Gangster No. 1 a few years back (the lead in that film is another one that the wife just 'has to' see every time he's in one) I knew that Silas was not going to be a stretch for him.

The movie preserves the intent and feel of the book, while exploring some nuances of the characters that I hadn't picked up on before. I think I'm going to have to re-read it, just to see if I missed something. Those who haven't read the book shouldn't have any trouble getting into the film, one of the friends who went with us hadn't read it, and I didn't hear a single word out of her until the show was over; and then the words were just praise.

Yes I know, it's an over-hyped film. Go see it anyway. It's worth the ticket price, and more.



Reading Least I Could Do today, came across a good one on The Da Vinci Code. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.