Open Source: Without Profit?

One of the arguments I've had with critics of Open Source software, is that they (the open source programmers) want people to use a product for which there is no profit, i.e. they are given away for free.

That's funny. I've profited many times over from a lack of lost down time due to using Firefox to access the Internet and avoiding all that IE targeted malware. I've also profited from using Thunderbird and avoiding all those scriptkiddie re-mailers that seem to plague Outlook Express.

[BTW, Microsoft gives IE and Express away 'free' too]

I've also profited from the use of www.openoffice.org instead of MicroSoft office. I've saved all those profits I would have handed over to brother Bill, and given them to myself. Same for the OS's that I test. The average Linux distro will run you 80 bucks if you want printed materials to go with the software. I've paid it more than once, as well as downloading them for free from the internet.

'If' I had a CAD package that suited my needs in Linux, I wouldn't even look back.

Most people too narrowly define the word 'profit'.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.