How About an Example of a Bad Show?

OK, so I like the new BSG and the re-mastered classic Star Trek. Does that mean I have no taste? That I will buy anything the studios throw out? Not really, no.

The last two incarnations of Star Trek that Paramount produced were so bad I didn't watch one of them, and I wish I hadn't watched the other.

I sat out the last three seasons of Voyager, not because the show had lost all contact with the characters that had started in the series (it had. What was Neelix still doing on the ship without the love of his life?) but because it offended my sensibilities that Paramount would use Star Trek fans to browbeat the local broadcasters into carrying their failing channel UPN. The show wasn't available in the Austin market for about a year because we didn't have a local carrier for UPN, and when one finally showed up, I had already decided to sit out the remainder of the program.

I also sat out the first three seasons of Enterprise. Enterprise was so flawed in conceptualization that I couldn't even watch the show, although I tried watching the premiere. I just couldn't suspend disbelief. Basically, it comes down to the established fact that there were no Vulcans in Star Fleet before Spock. Every time the boob babe flounced on screen in Enterprise, I was thrown right out of believing the show. Combine that with the fact that I couldn't stand Scott Bacula even when he was on Quantum Leap, and you've got a show that I can't watch and enjoy.

There were two episodes of the last season (I tuned in to watch Brent Spiner open season four, stayed for the end of the season) that I actually could sit back and enjoy. They were the two part In a Mirror, Darkly (a prequel to Mirror, Mirror) which could be viewed as canon because the existence of Vulcans on the ship was explained, and they were watchable because Bacula made a very convincing bad guy.

Overall Enterprise was a show I didn't watch, and didn't mind missing.

I wish I had missed the movie Nemesis, I want my money back for that film. It wasn't just bad Trek (which I had grown used to) it was bad cinema. I don't know how it ranks a 6.5 at IMDB. I give it about a 3, which it gets for stunningly expensive special effects alone. The storyline gets it about a 1. Completely unbelievable, with a dune buggy thrown into the middle of it just to add insult to injury (Gene never allowed wheeled vehicles on the show. It was one of the ways that he separated the Star Trek universe from today's world. They had grown beyond the use of the wheel) and yet another Data clone (how many versions of his android did Dr. Soong make and throw away before he made Data anyway? Just a but casual with his creations, isn't he? Leaving them scattered about on different planets. Don't they have littering laws in the 24th century?) and the never before mentioned race of Remuns that are in competition for domination of the Romulan binary homeworld system.

Lame from start to finish, and the only saving grace is the most impressive collision of starships that I've ever seen on film. (Worf finally gets to run into something) Not enough to make it worth the cost of a ticket.

And then there's the proposed script for the next film, tentively dubbed Star Trek XI
This is one fan that sincerely hopes that J.J. Abrams is as good as his word, and isnt' contemplating shooting Harve Bennett's Star Trek Babies script. (although the page still talks about Kirk and Spock meeting at the academy. Maybe somebody should point out to him that Spock and Kirk met for the first time on the Enterprise. Spock had served in Star Fleet for 30 years before meeting James T. Kirk. That also is canon) They've been pretty tight lipped about the production so far. I hope that's a good sign. I've liked several of the projects he's worked on in the past. Here's hoping that he continues the trend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.