Disability Freeloader

I haven't written about my disability for quite awhile now (although I started the blog with that subject) It's been almost two years. I'd just as soon not discuss something that has negatively impacted pretty much every (waking or sleeping) moment of my life since it manifested itself. if I spent as much time discussing it as it's presence in my life would seem to warrant, I wouldn't talk about much else.

Added to the daily dizziness and tinnitus from Meniere's, there is the Piriformis syndrome that makes any form of sitting an exercise in slow torture. Then there's the constant mold allergies (thanks, Austin) which also acts as a trigger for the Meniere's. I could go on, but I won't.

I have been attempting to get an acknowledgment of this disability from the U.S. government for about two and a half years now. I haven't mentioned that at all, because I didn't want to have to explain myself to people who inevitably would strike an attitude; like this one displayed by a relative in response to my thrashing single payer health care systems in general, and Hillary Care in particular:

I guess what disturbs me most is that you say you are libertarian, but you are also trying to get the government to give you a free ride. This doesn't make sense to me. Which way do you want it. No government involvement in personal business, or do you want the government to pay you for being ill? Can't have it both ways.
Cats out of the bag now, I think it's time to have this conversation.

Starting with the accusation of wanting a "Free ride". What an interesting way of describing an agreement between two parties, where one party pays into a 'fund' for all of his working life, and the other party promises to compensate the first in the event of disability and old age. In case there is any confusion here, I'm the party of the first part, and the U.S. government is the party of the second part.

I have diligently paid all my taxes over the years, including the 17% social security tax (half paid by my employers) which supposedly funds an account with my name on it, to be paid out in the event of disability and/or old age. That account has been funded to an excess of $40,000, money paid in good faith, based on the promise to provide a safety net for me if I ever become disabled or reach retirement age.

I have been released from two jobs now because of ill health. Employers do not want my services any longer. I spend every day combating the symptoms of the various ills that plague me, and it doesn't leave me with much in the way of productive time; and my lack of employment denies me access to health care insurance, the only way that most of the treatments (surgery) can be afforded (whether they actually work or not) I don't know how else to define 'disabled'.

So here I am. I am disabled and the government has taken more than $40,000 from me over the course of my working life, with the promise to compensate me. I'm asking them to fulfill a contract. I'm asking them to provide the vaunted safety net that all the Democrats talk about.

After more than two years of fighting over this issue, I'm still just as without a safety net as I was at the beginning, even though all the doctors I've been to see confirm that I am disabled. (or at least that I do indeed suffer from the ills described) Two applications, three appeals, extra medical costs, etc. What do I have to show for it so far? Ridicule from an administrative law judge (I'm convinced that he refused to feel compassion for another white guy who clearly just needs to get back to work. White guys can't be disabled, you know) and from former friends and family; and not much else.

Who's getting the free ride? Sounds like the government from this end. Their actions clearly show that they'd prefer I dropped dead on the job before age 70 (which is when they are required by law to start paying me. Not the oft referenced 65 that the current retirees qualify for. How much longer will those younger than me have to work? 75? 80? Perhaps until they drop dead as well) rather than pay me anything at all; much less concede to something that trained medical professionals have stated is fact.

This is the reality of any government program; and it is precisely what it will be like to have government provided health care, which is nothing more than a government sponsored welfare program in which everyone is required to participate. Single payer health care under the U.S. Government will function in a manner indistinguishable from the Social Security system. The thought of this should scare anyone.

Now, if you go back and read some of my posts on the subject of Social Security, I'm sure that it will become crystal clear just how much of my money is waiting for me to need it; that number is somewhere in the range of zero. But we aren't talking about the reality of U.S. government fiscal policy here, we're talking about government programs that exist (whether I want them to or not) funded with tax dollars extracted at gunpoint from my paycheck. Programs which the government and it's supporters insist are fully funded, and aren't in crisis. I'm asking them to put their money where their mouth is. Provide that ballyhooed safety net, show me the money.

I don't want it both ways; I want it to be one way. Either government programs work, and I get paid for being disabled (which I am) or government programs don't work, and we run like hell from proposals to expand the size and scope of government to incorporate more of the health care system. Either there's something wrong with taking money from the government for any reason (old age, disability, HEALTH CARE, corporate welfare, etc) or there isn't any reason to not take what's offered to you; and since most of my detractors will gladly accept their retirement money if they live that long (much less agitate for Hillary Care) I don't think they are the ones who get to cast the first stone.

I see myself as beholden to pursue the disability claim given as I am disabled, and the government insists that it's programs are there to help me; even if I only prove the opposing point, that government programs don't work. So far, they aren't looking very helpful.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.