Distracted Driving

Another rant inspired by Jeff Ward and Our Little Show. I can't find any information on this subject other than the news story on KLBJ AM's website, but I'm betting that this issue is being discussed, along with the issue of red light cameras

[go here to voice your opposition to that issue. Red light cameras actually cause accidents because of their effect on traffic, and because the governments that install them also shorten yellow light times so as to make more money from the cameras. It's all about cash flow]

both of which are favored by a number of Austin City council members (Congresscritters in training is what they really are) neither of which are good ideas. Don't take my word for it, check out what AAA has to say about the dangers of driving distracted. Sure, I've nearly been run over by people on cell phones (more than once) I've also been nearly run over by people arguing with children, spilling coffee, doing their makeup, shaving, you name it.

When I have been run over (I think the total is about 6 wrecks now, none of which my insurance had to pay for) it's always been by someone who was distracted by a passenger in the car. Maybe we should limit vehicle capacity to one person. That should cut down on the number of accidents.

But the thing that really chaps my hide is this driving need on the part of politicians to pass a new law that essentially duplicates parts of laws already on the books. If a policeman feels you are unreasonably distracted by your use of a cell phone, he can already pull you over and issue a ticket for reckless driving. So the new law does...?

Nothing but put more money into government coffers.

City Council contact info.

2 comments:

  1. I think it's worth mentioning that Betty Dunkerley is the only council member who responded to my inquiries, in any fashion that I could determine.

    I guess the rest of them were busy figuring out just how short to make the yellow lights at controlled intersections so as to yield maximum cash flow for the city.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Here's a distracted driving cartoon you might like...

    http://pastexpiry.blogspot.com/2008/09/cartoon-distracted-driving.html

    ReplyDelete

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.