FFrF Radio: Stolen Innocence; Archives: Barbara G. Walker & Julia Sweeney

Podcast Link.
June 21, 2008 - Guests: Elissa Wall and Sarah Braasch

California Gay Marriage news leads off the episode.

Sarah Braasch is FFrF's new intern. She is researching prayer in the Wisconson state assembly, which is highly regulated. It's no surprise, of course, that the representatives have been pushing the envelope of what a nonsectarian, nondenominational opening prayer is.

Elissa Wall's story is a prime example of my oft voiced opinion that the other shoe is yet to drop when it comes to the State of Texas v. FLDS. She provides a very telling look into what the FLDS is really all about.

[Previous posts on the FLDS. The emotional reaction that I have to discussions of women's roles within these ridiculous fundamentalist churches is almost beyond description. It always reminds me of a story idea that came to me one night. What would a society look like if women were permitted to kill any man, for any reason, from the time of birth. Maybe the average couch dwelling male would listen when the woman spoke, then. Don't shoot the messenger, it's just an idea]

Stolen Innocence looks like a good book (Video) I don't think I'll be able to read it.





2007 Archive episode.
June 23, 2007 - Special Guest: Author Barbara G. Walker

Theocracy Alert details yet another example of misapplication of funds within Bush's ill-advised faith-based failure.

Barbara G. Walker's interview wasn't particularly riveting (she's no Julia Sweeney) Still, it's very informative on the subjects that she's knowledgeable about. The Woman's Encyclopedia of Myths and Secrets sounds like a book I need to put in the library.

Pagan pulpit rounds out the episode with a sermon on the christian trinity. Apparently the passage on the trinity does not appear in the 'original' I John 5:7, it was inserted by catholic priests in ages past (current translations do not include the passage) even if it was found in the Bible, how would you make sense of it?

So, it is declared that the Father is God, and the Son God and the Holy Ghost God, and that these three Gods make one God.

According to the celestial multiplication table, once one is three, and three times one is one, and according to heavenly subtraction if we take two from three, three are left. The addition is equally peculiar, if we add two to one we have but one. Each one is equal to himself and the other two. Nothing ever was, nothing ever can be more perfectly idiotic and absurd than the dogma of the Trinity.

Robert Green Ingersoll - The Foundations of Faith



2006 Archive episode.
June 24, 2006 - "Letting Go of God": Julia Sweeney

Julia Sweeney has been mentioned and been a guest on Freethought Radio more times than any other person. I caught "God Said Ha!" on one of the movie channels a few months ago. I set the DVR to record the program based on mentions it received on Freethought.

I didn't find it that funny (interesting, just not LOL funny) nor did I find Pat that interesting on SNL (truthfully, I haven't watched SNL since Aykroyd and Belushi left the show. However, the asexual characters you meet inevitably being referred to as Pat proves that her characterizations have progressed to myth status) I had already written a blurb about the impending movie back in November; So when I saw that it was once again time bring up the subject of Letting go of God, because it was time to review the older Julia Sweeney interview, I balked.

I really didn't want to trash something I hadn't seen or heard, but I couldn't recommend something if I hadn't experienced it either. So, I bit the bullet and wandered over to Audible for a download of the show (brought to my attention by another podcast I listen to) and after fighting with the DRM restrictions for a few minutes (the subject of several rants, one of the reasons I don't generally use download sites) I finally got the file running. I'm actually glad I took the time to listen to Letting go of God before writing this, because it is a very funny audio program. Heres a video snippet from TED talks:



Looking forward to the movie now.

Oh, and as far as this episode of Freethought goes, all of the interviews with Julia are entertaining (that's why I was willing to risk $11 and change on a download I might not have been able to use) this one is no exception.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.