George Carlin - May 12th 1937, June 22, 2008

My favorite comic, George Carlin, kicked it last night (George, if you were in my address book, your six weeks would start today. I only wish I'd known you well enough to be able to erase you from the address book in six weeks) I'd like to make it to 71 myself, so I'm not going to shed too many tears for his passing. 71 ain't half bad, I'd settle for that.

Still, I remember a bit that he did ages ago when the "no heroic efforts" directives to doctors and hospitals were making headlines, and his take on the subject was predictably non-conformist. Of the hundreds of clips on YouTube, none of them feature the segment that I remember, and I'm not going to attempt to paraphrase the master from memory.

Suffice it to say, If there was one more tube available to plug into some hole or other on the man, maybe he'd still be with us.

There's a good wiki entry on him, as well as the YouTube tributes. Personally, I found this bit from MadTV to be the most appropriate for the occasion.



I miss you already George.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ad Hominems, Spam and Advertisements will be mercilessly deleted. All other comments are eagerly anticipated.